To kick off the start of my new blog, I thought I’d share one of my all time favourite cupcake recipes in celebration of National Cupcake Lover’s Day! I’ve been obsessed with cupcakes ever since I was a kid. I even dreamed of opening up my own shop at one point! The great thing about cupcakes is their versatility. As the seasons change, a whole variety of flavours come into play! From gingerbread and peppermint in the winter, to maple and pumpkin in autumn, there’s no limit imposed on creativity when it comes to cupcakes! For this post, I’ll be sharing my recipe for Ice Cream Themed Cupcakes! They are super easy to make and extremely fun to decorate!
These cupcakes are a perfect summer treat and are sure to win over family and friends! Rich chocolate cupcakes with vanilla cream cheese frosting, topped with hot fudge, sprinkles, toasted nuts and a cherry on top … all served in a cone! Who could resist!? These are guaranteed to put a smile on your face! Keep scrolling for the recipe!
Note: When making these cupcakes, it’s best to use mini cupcake pans as they hold the ice cream cones perfectly in place. If you need a substitute, any pan that is at least 2 inches deep will work. Simply place a sheet of aluminum foil over top, use a pair of scissors to poke a few holes through it and place the cones inside!
Check out the recipe down below!
Ice Cream Cupcakes Recipe
Yield: 18 Cupcakes
For The Cupcakes:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup whole milk, at room temperature
1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
For The Frosting:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
For The Decorations:
Mini Ice Cream Cones
For The Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Fill pans/trays with 18 mini ice cream cones.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Place the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer or in a bowl with a handheld electric mixer. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Stop to add the sugar; then beat on medium speed until well incorporated. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing slowly after each addition.
- Combine the vanilla extract and milk in a liquid measuring cup.
- Reduce the speed to low. Add one third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, then gradually add one third of the milk mixture, beating until well incorporated. Add another third of the flour mixture followed by another third of the milk mixture. Stop to scrape down the bowl as needed. Add the remaining flour mixture, followed by the remaining milk mixture, and mix slowly until just combined.
- Add the cocoa powder, mixing on low speed until just incorporated.
- Use a standard size ice-cream scoop and fill each cone with batter, about two-thirds full. Bake for 18 to 20 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cupcake comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool before removing from the pans.
For The Frosting and Decorations:
Place the butter, sugar, cream cheese and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until well combined. Be sure to beat on high speed at the end for roughly two minutes to ensure the frosting is light and fluffy. Frost the cupcakes and top with hot fudge, toasted nuts, sprinkles and a single maraschino cherry!
What’s your favourite cupcake flavour? Let me know in the comments below! If you decide to try these out for yourself, be sure to snap a photo and tag it #chicmydarling! I’d love to see how they turn out! 🙂